Friday, August 02, 2013

TheGlasLog: Living in the Big Apple with Glass

Yesterday morning my wife and i were on our way to midtown for the day where we had various errands/meetings etc, together and on our own to do/have. As always when I go out, I was wearing Glass. On the way to the subway, a random stranger stopped us… and asked where the nearest subway station was.


Over the following afternoon of wearing it to Starbucks, Subway (the fast food place), and several other places with LOADS of humans, not one of them approached me about Glass.


Just before going home, I stopped off at Trader Joe’s and had my Glass hanging around my neck by one of those strings designed for glasses. As the very energetic and hip cashier lady scanned my items, she pointed at my chest and said something I didn’t understand.


“Sorry?” I said.



“That’s cool. Jack!” she said, pointing to my chest–right where my Glass was hanging.


“Huh?” I think I muttered. She then clarified: “Your shirt. Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas.”


I looked down at my t-shirt and slid Glass out of the way so she could see that it wasn’t Jack Skelington from the well-known Tim Burton movie, but in fact, Skully-Chan, a character of my own creation (t-shirts and other goods available at helloskullychan.com).


Go buy one!

This is the shirt I was wearing.



“She’s a little dead girl who doesn’t let that stop her from being cute,” I explained.


The cashier smiled warmly and said “that’s really cool!” …and nothing else.


She had looked past Glass at my t-shirt. I’m flattered, but still a little surprised.



I think Glass should be equipped with a level. Or a live feed of what the camera lens sees. You know, which ever is easier.



About twenty minutes later, I stood on the Uptown A train subway platform at 14th Street and 8th Avenue. While waiting for my train, I was trying to take level photos of the tracks and the platform opposite me (does anyone else have trouble taking shots with Glass that don’t look crooked? Maybe I’m just not as level-headed as I like to think? Ha!). I had my earbuds in and was focused on taking a good photo. Suddenly I saw two middle-aged white guys pass in front of me and then out of view. Then, the second one I saw backed, back into view, smiled and says something I couldn’t hear because of my loud music. I pulled an earbud out. “Sorry?”


“How is it?” he asked smiling wide as his companion joined him just as widely.


“This?” I asked, pointing to the Glass on my face.


“Yeah. that’s the Google one, right?”


FINALLY, someone had approached me and asked me about Glass. This is the first time it’s happened. I’ve had Glass since June 26. When my wife and I were on a pier on the Hudson River packed with people, waiting for 4th of July fireworks to start, a stranger asked me if my sunglasses had a camera built into them. But when I told him what they were, he seemed only vaguely familiar with Glass.


I don’t crave attention or anything, but I am a little envious of my fellow Glassmates when they describe the bright smiles and wide eyes of people who approach them about Glass. I was a little disappointed that the guy on the subway platform didn’t ask to try them on. I suppose I should just be glad he approached me at all. He did seem genuinely excited about Glass and that was neat to experience. But why has it only been this one guy after five weeks of New Yorkers being unimpressed?


Maybe he’s new to the city?







via thepete.com http://thepete.com/theglaslog-living-in-the-big-apple-with-glass/

No comments: