Saturday, June 14, 2008

TheNYCMove day 34 (?): The 1st Wave

utterz-image
...of stuff!



This was the scene about 2 hours ago as I left TheApartment to run someerrands down in Soho. That's the pile of stuff we've been living fromfor the past 3 weeks. There are 3 tiny shopping bags, a couple of smallboxes and half-a-bag of groceries at our friend David's place still, butwe can go back to get those any time and just take the subway home.



We took a car service up and the driver was great--quiet, but great. Heseemed genuinely happy to help us get our stuff to our new home.



Since I left on my errands, a lot has happened.



Just as I was heading into the subway I heard a single crack ofthunder. I looked up to see clouds, but nothing directly overhead thatwas threatening. I shrugged and hopped on the A train and made my waydown to Soho xferring once.



When I resurfaced, everything was drenched but it wasn't raining atall. However, it was still overcast. I smiled, proud that I had missedthe rain entirely.



I picked up a shower curtain, an air mattress and a huge Britta pitchertub thing along with a 5 pack of filters. However, as I eyed the 4 and5-cup coffee makers at the wholesale place I was shopping at, I heard acrazy-loud crack of thunder. By the time I made it to the cashier, itwas pouring down.



Luckily, I was about a half block from my subway stop, so I managed toavoid getting too wet...until I got to the stairs, that is.



The stairs that led down to the subway station were being drenched undera nearly constant shaft of water streaming down from the roof of anearby building. The roof seemed to be designed to spew water rightdown onto the steps and the wind made the shaft dance around the leftside of the stairwell, making any dry travel past it impossible.



One by one, all of us who needed that particular stop made our way pastthe shaft getting one side of our bodies pretty wet. As we reached thebottom of the stairs we came face-to-face with about a dozen peoleeyeing the stairs with extreme hesitation. To them there was a monsoonabove them. All they could see was the huge shaft of water splashingacross the stairs. The guy in front of me told them all it wasn'tcoming down anywhere near as hard once you got past the shaft of water.



As I type this, I'm back on the A heading uptown to TheNewPad. The guyon the loudspeaker just announced that the A is stopping at all localstops. For some reason he repeated it over and over.



"All local stops. All local stops. All local stops. All local stops. All local stops. All local stops. All local stops. "



I guess people get mad when they get on a train that's supposed to be anexpress only to have it make every stop on the long trip up theisland--something like 200 blocks and maybe 12 stops from where I goton.



So, that's the latest! Tonight TheWife has a couple parties to go toand I have yet to decide if I'll join her or not. I may just find a'Bucks and spend some quality time on the 'net with some iced coffee. Ireally need to be more social, though. Maybe once we get moresettled...



It's Father's Day tomorrow! Don't forget to call Poppy to wish him ahappy one!
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterzreply-count Replies.


Orignal From: TheNYCMove day 34 (?): The 1st Wave

No comments: