Thursday, April 23, 2009

12 Second Japanese Lesson #14: I Am Well

12 Second Japanese Lesson #14 is the response to the question you learned in 12 Second Japanese Lesson #13, "How are you?"


12 Second Japanese Lesson #14: I am well! on 12seconds.tv


The hiragana and romaji are:

げんきです genki desu (well am = "I am well")

Remember, when you have an "n" that isn't followed by a vowel sound it's more like the "ng" sound at the end of "ring" or "thing". Also, the vowels on the end of words are sometimes dropped, which is why I didn't pronounce that "u" on the end.

"Genki," as Phlow pointed out in the comments of lesson #13 (http://tiny12.tv/UBHEV ), means "energetic, vigorous or healthy." However, it's used in a way that makes it like asking someone if they're "fine" or "well." Check out Phlow's 12stream here: http://12seconds.tv/channel/phlow

Did I get something wrong? Tell me! I've got a LOT to learn still, so please help me and others by commenting. ありがとうございます! (arigatou gozaimasu - thank you very much!)

To learn more Japanese online, I recommend checking out Alex Brooke's LearnJapanesePod.com (also visit his site AlexBrooke.com to check out what else he's up to). You might also check out JapanesePod101.com or pick up the book Japanese from Zero: Volume 1 if you want to learn offline. I have also found My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS to be of HUGE help in learning the basics. Also, there are quite a few cool apps for the iPhone that I use for studying, as well.

Orignal From: 12 Second Japanese Lesson #14: I Am Well

No comments: