Thursday, December 30, 2010

A couple pics of my new dumbphone, the perfectly acceptable Samsung a107.

While I wait for my new, unlocked, red Dell Streak to arrive I still wanted to use AT&T's crazy good prepaid plan of $2/day unlimited calling and texting when you use it. So, I found the most simple phone I could, the Samsung a107 for $20 at Best Buy. Then I bought a $15 refill card and got it for half off. Then I used a $5 coupon I had as a Best Buy Reward Zone member. So, yep, I paid just $5 for the phone and paid just $15 for $30 on my account since the phone came with $15 included.

TXTING & DRIVING, IT CAN WAIT

Y R U YLLNG?

What's really amazing to me, as a dedicated and passionate gadget guy, is how little this phone does. This phone doesn't have a camera but can go online. Of course, the $2/day plan does NOT include data but does allow you to access the web at the cost of 0.01/kb, which is absolutely absurd. Luckily, I was able to find backdoor codes for the Samsung a107 online that allowed me to turn off 3G access entirely. So, no paying $5 to download a 500kb ringtone.

Once my new Streak does arrive (Dell.com says it'll happen on January 15) I'll stick with my T-Mobile sim for it's $1.50/day unlimited Internet. I use it all the time on my old-as-dirt iPhone 3G and love it. Sure, it's only on T-Mo's Edge network (which means it's be crazy slow) but hey, show me another data plan that is as flexible as a $1.50 daypass and runs on 3G and I'll switch! I'd rather have slow convenience than be forced to pay on days I just don't need it. I may just pick up a MiFi once their battery life gets a bit longer.

Speaking of battery life, the BEST thing about the a107 is that the battery seems endless. As I type this I've been traveling for six days and I have yet to plug it in. Meanwhile, I plug my iPhone in twice a day. Can't wait to get my Streak and retire this old guy!

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

No comments: