Tuesday, December 07, 2010

What approximately $20 got me at Book Off this weekend

That book on the left is called ペロリちゃん or Perori-chan. It's a compilation of simply drawn comic strips. Then there's a book about the Peanuts comic strip which I think is called "All of Snoopy's something something".  OK, the "somethings" are just where I couldn't translate. But literally it says "スヌーピーたちの(kanji)(kanji)はなし" or "Sunupitachino(kanji)(kanji)hanashi" I think "hanashi" is talk. So maybe it's "All of my talks with Snoopy"?  Then there's a manga starring ドラえもん or "Doraemon". I'm puzzled as to why the first two characters are in katakana but the rest are in hiragana.  The big magazine in the middle is called "Weekly Shonen" (shonen=boy) and is about an INCH thick with comics--insanely great price at $1.00 used and only a couple of months old.  Then, volume 1 of "Moonlight Mile" which was recommended to me by @tomzer1 because he said it was similar to "Planetes" which is an AWESOME anime that I HIGHLY recommend.  However, in this manga, there's a group sex scene almost at the very beginning of the book! Maybe Tomzer was referring to the anime adaption of "Moonlight Mile"? O_O And finally we have "Black Jack: The Best 12 stories by Osamu Tezuka".  If you're not familiar with Black Jack, he is an outlaw surgeon who can basically do almost anything with a scalpel but charges you a million every time no matter how hard the procedure is.  He's a classic anime/manga character in Japan.

So, why did I spend $20 on books I can't yet read? I'm using these books as a reason to study more. I have them on a shelf, right next to my desk, so I'll see them always and (hopefully) feel inspired to study hard so I can one day read them.

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

No comments: