Friday, April 28, 2006

So, I'm Developing this Puppet Show Podcast Idea...

...and I figure, everyone and their uncle has a video podcast these days, even me. However, I have lots of ideas for lots of stuff--including podcasts. As mentioned in the headline, I decided to do a puppet show.

I figured, though, that I couldn't be the first person to think of doing a puppet podcast and I don't want to accidentally do what someone else has already done, so I checked around. It turns out a friend of mine who was actually in my play last year is developing a show called The Felties. However, he has no episodes done yet. Andrew Moore, that's my friend's name, also did (does?) a HILARIOUS puppet podcast featuring those bodiless animal head puppets you get at the zoo or amusment parks. It was (is?) awesome--he had them paraphrasing Shakespeare. Bloody brilliant if you ask me. It's called Disembodied Animal Head Theatre and you can check it out here: http://daht.blogspot.com/

And check out the latest episode at YouTube.Com here.

For a while it looked like he wasn't doing any more episodes but I just checked the site and there's a third episode up. I hope he does more...

Then I remembered a podcast I watched just once a few months ago--a thing called Puppet Rapist. Now, this is a podcast that is just as dark and just as well done as the title suggests (some moron isn't going to be interesting enough to come up with a title like that). I just watched episode 4 now and I have to admit it rocks. The production values are very high and while I don't like the lead guy's understated performance, the puppets look great and the story is brilliant.

Between DAHT and Puppet Rapist, I began to feel pretty intimidated. While DAHT is super low budget, it is very sharp and smart. Meanwhile Puppet Rapist is 75% perfect with the only bad stuff coming in with the acting (but I'm a grissled MST3K veteran so I can handle bad acting--and the acting is not even THAT bad on PR). However, it's at this point I consider Cakey.

Cakey is a show that I'm sure would be a big hit with the Adult Swim crowd--a crowd I don't count myself among. Cakey has a great premise--an alien that just happens to look like a cake is stranded on Earth where he befriends a young boy who has an aging disease (which allows him to be played by a 20-something). However, the execution is kind of boring. In the episode I watched the lead kid is getting all F's and his teacher wants to talk to his dad. Alas his dad is freakishly obsessed with his looks (which is damn funny, I admit) and refuses to go because he is too fat. So, the kid dresses up Cakey and pretends he's his uncle.

Essentially Cakey ends up being just another stupid sitcom with a "hillarious" premise. The sad thing is, the rest of the show is not so hillarious (without the quotes) to me. It's still worth checking out if you enjoy the Adult Swim type humor.

Now I'm not feeling so intimidated anymore. Time to start writing down some serious ideas for that puppet podcast... and by "serious" I mean, funny...

No comments: