Monday, November 19, 2007

My Beowulf Pocket Review


I run a site called http://PocketReviews.net where I (and occasionally friends) answer 4 basic questions about movies I see to create a spoiler-free, pocket-sized review of a film that will actually help people decide whether it's right for them or not.

From http://pocketreviews.net/beowulf-2007:

Positive Experience/Entertaining?

Definitely entertaining�which is good because I kind of expected it to suck.

Technically any good?

As you can tell from the posters and trailers, the CG FX are incredible. However, I felt that they kind of fell short. There was still no real emotion in the faces and there were only moments where I felt that certain shots could have been mistaken for actual photos. I kept flashing back to supermarionation (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett and even Abe Lincoln in Disneyland�s Hall of Presidents), to be honest. However, I was still able to enjoy the movie. The script was cool, dialog good (though unfortunate at times) and the story was updated in interesting ways, compared to the original poem, but I think there were some odd choices that made me seriously question the execution of the plot. There were comic relief moments that seemed contrived and stupid and there was an over-all lack of character development that left me with thrills but nothing to leave the theater with.

How did it leave me feeling?

Excited, but realizing that the best reason to see Beowulf is for the spectacle. So, see this on the big screen if you�re ever going to see it at all and preferably see it in an IMAX theater in 3-D to make sure you get the full effect of the spectacle.

Final Rating?

SIYL - See If You Like - though this is NOT a kids� cartoon! There is serious violence and (effectively) a lot of nudity for a PG-13 film�between the nudity and violence I have to admit that I�ve seen much tamer R-movies than this PG-13er.
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterz Replies.


Orignal From: My Beowulf Pocket Review

No comments: