Wednesday, April 15, 2009

CORALINE (2009)


Would you recommend this? If you're looking for a family-safe spectacle, I'd say yes. However, if you're looking for a solid story and a movie that will really whisk you a way to another world, prooobably not.


Technically any good? The animation was an interesting mix of CG and stop-motion, but at times I found it distracting that it was one and not the other or vice-versa. There were moments of animation that really did blow me away, but mostly I found myself not caring for the designs. This is just a personal gripe, but I felt like the characters weren't consistent with each other and regardless of that, were a bit stereotypical.

Acting-wise, Dakota Fanning was great, but I felt Teri Hatcher was a little bland. It was nice to know that John Hodgman got a paycheck, but I didn't think he was that well cast (or maybe I just think he's BRILLIANT on Daily Show. Keith David was awesome and was cast against type, which was GREAT.

Sadly, the script was lacking in much emotion and I found myself wondering why I didn't care about anyone. I was also disappointed to see that there was little motivation for Coraline to be a hero, aside from that it's her duty.


How did it leave me feeling? The 3-D and spectacle aspects of seeing it in the theater made me feel satisfied, but the film itself really didn't make me feel anything at all.


Would you sit through it again? No chance. :(

Orignal From: CORALINE (2009)

No comments: