Tuesday, April 14, 2009

HARVEY (1950)


Buy it!
Would you recommend this? Definitely, if you're looking for a sweet movie that's maybe just a bit darker than you'd expect. It's not dark, but wasn't as warm and light as I thought it would be.


Technically any good? There's only a bit toward the end where the script starts to let us down--it's just a slow patch where I found myself confused as to what the heck the movie was doing. However, everything around that slow patch is pretty solid. The movie is based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play and it shows in the witty dialogue and ironic situations. The acting is as spot-on as you'd expect. However, I found Jimmy Stewart's pantomime to be a bit less convincing than I would have liked, though I'm sure it was fine for the day and certainly didn't knock me out of the movie.


How did it leave me feeling? Warm and fuzzy inside. I usually don't like to feel that way, so I give the movie even more credit for making me not mind. Three-cheers for being a bit darker, too. I'm sure if someone ever (god forbid) remade this movie it would be a good deal lighter.


Would you sit through it again? I would sit through it again, but it's one of those movies that does a great job--so good that I don't think I'd want to sit through it again for a while.

Orignal From: HARVEY (1950)

No comments: