Saturday, March 31, 2012

Worst publicity postcard I've ever seen. #Frackonomics people, think before you hand stuff out.

Got this handed to me on the subway a few nights ago. It's for an event called "Frackonomics" and it says it's about "Debunking the financial myths of shale gas." Want more information? TOUGH! YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! Why? Because there is no other information about the talk on the card beyond the list of speakers (and their credentials) on the back. No further description of the event, no phone number, and most stunning of all, no website URL. For all I can tell, without doing further research, this could be an event that is pro-fracking. I can't tell. These days both sides of every argument cynically manipulate words and their meanings to trick people into supporting them (even if you'd support them without the spin). So, simply stating that you're "debunking myths of shale gas" is not clear enough. This reminds me of the Clean Coal campaign from a bunch of years ago, where pro-coal folks wanted to make us think Clean Coal was actually possible by sounding like they were pro-green, pro-alternative energy folks.

I did Google the word "Frackonomics" and the top hit was a video by someone. Well, I don't have time to watch some video the subject matter of which I have no idea. I've already wasted enough time Googling it. I would probably be a huge supporter of this cause, BUT I CAN'T TELL WHAT IT IS. So, if you're ever in charge of a marketing campaign and actually want people to show up for your event, please include enough information on said event so that people KNOW WHAT IT IS. Short of that, INCLUDE A FRIGGIN' URL, DAMMIT! WHAT IS THIS, 1994???

As it is, this post card is going in the trash and the event will be promptly forgotten.



from a post at thepete.com

No comments: