Sunday, August 27, 2006

ILLUSIONIST (2006)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Definitely! It's rare to see a movie this smart and entertaining without it coming across a bit on the preachy side.
Technically any good? I had a few issues with how they established Eisenheim as a magician (whether he was really magic or really an illusionist) and I felt that there was a general aloofness to the direction, but generally speaking I enjoyed this movie. The acting was solid, but I just didn't feel for the characters at all. I don't blame the actors for this since I felt it was more that the film just didn't show us what we needed to see to feel something for the characters. That said, I give the film points for taking us to a place and time we're not familiar with and showing us things that are very interesting.
How did it leave me feeling? Entertained, but not thrilled. If I hadn't spent $25.50 on 2 tickets I might have enjoyed the film more, but I don't think the price had anything to do with my technical issues regarding the film. Oh and Paul Giamatti was astounding as always. I had no flashbacks to Lady in the Water or Paycheck or even any of Giamatti's good films. ;)
Final Rating? RTV - Rent the Video--it's good, but not worth a $10 ticket, in my humble opinion.

Orignal From: ILLUSIONIST (2006)

No comments: