Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Israel's Invasion of Lebanon an Environmental Crime, Too.

So, Israel invades Lebanon because Lebanon nabbed a couple of Israeli soldiers in the hopes of a prisoner swap. Think the worst of it is 1000 Lebanese dead and 100 Israeli dead? Nope. The worst of it is one-half those dead people and one-half the worst environmental disaster the area has ever seen. Yup, in an Israeli attack on a power station, an oil pipeline was ruptured spewing 10-15 thousand tons of heavy oil into the Mediterranean Sea. I've been to the Mediterranean--I've seen it up close and personal. It's gorgeous. Or at least, it was. Now check out this screengrab I snagged from [http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0828-01.htm|an August 28, 2006 article] found originally at SFGate.com but now available at CommonDreams.Org:
That caption came with the original pic on CommonDreams.Org. Now, I haven't had the time to check out the mainstream news, so I've no idea if they're covering this story but if I were a betting man, I'd wager that they haven't bothered to spend a minute on this story.

Orignal From: Israel's Invasion of Lebanon an Environmental Crime, Too.

No comments: