Wednesday, March 12, 2008

KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU (1998)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Yes, definitely positive. However, this isn't entering my pantheon of brilliant British comedies any time soon.



Technically any good? I think this show serves almost like a prototype for what Ali G. would eventually become and a sibling to the show The Office. This is a parody talk show (or chat show, as they're called in the UK) where a somewhat moronic TV host, Alan Partridge (played by UK comedian Steve Coogan), fumbles his way through awkward interviews with fictional people. It's a great character study--the acting is spot-on, the writing is strong (but not brilliant) and by the end of the six-episode series, I found myself strangely addicted to the character. Not in a crazy "let's get married in a Vulcan wedding" sort of way--but in a "hey, it's that Knowing Me show on, let's watch!" kind of way.



How did it leave me feeling? Laughing really hard, actually. The series ends with a pretty hilarious twist and definitely left me wanting more. Which is good since there have been two other series ("seasons," in Americanese). Though, luckily, the "loser with talk show" format was swapped out for a traditionally structured sequel series called "I'm Alan Partridge." I'll PokeRev this next week.



Final Rating? NFI - NetFlix It! Definitely worth a viewing for anyone who likes good solid comedy. A little embarrassing and awkward to watch at first, but you get used to it.



Orignal From: KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU (1998)

No comments: