Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas is Over...Thank Christ!

Sure, I'm an Atheist, but I enjoy Christmas as much as the next guy. Still, Christmas in America has gotten so bad, I wonder if Charlie Brown would kill himself upon seeing how much of it is all about the economy these days. So much of the past few weeks has been about buying, giving and getting things sold to us by corporations. The funny thing is that yesterday, while TheWife and I and our pal Jen were at the Grove (an outdoor shopping mall in Hollywood) with tickets to see Dreamgirls we could find almost no place to eat or even shop. There were a tiny faction of the shops open and only a slightly larger number of restaurants. As a result, the literal scores of people who had come to the Grove yesterday had a hard time spending their money. We actually had to leave the Grove and walk three long blocks in order to find the deli counter at the famous Canter's restaurant -- they were the only place that had a minimal line. So, I ask American corporations just one thing: Can you please make up your mind? If it's about supporting the American economy, then why aren't your shops and restaurants open on Christmas day? And if it isn't about supporting the American economy, can you please lighten up on the pressure to buy? OK, that's two questions, but seriously, I feel like it's my responsibility -- no, my DUTY to buy things but when I actually want to buy stuff, you're closed! I've got Christmas money, gift cards and merchandise returns that will mean profits for you. Sadly, they are lost to you now. Sure, I'll eventually get to all of them, but how soon? Not for a while... Better luck next year.

Orignal From: Christmas is Over...Thank Christ!

No comments: