Thursday, September 25, 2008

SHANE (1953)


Watch now on Amazon!
Positive Experience/Entertaining? Definitely! I can see why this is one of the classic westerns.


Technically any good? Structurally, this movie relies on a lot of classic western cliches. However, since this movie was made in 1953 I think it just might have created some of them. The acting is solid, though I was shocked to learn that the kid won an Oscar for his performance (which I feel he didn't deserve). I also feel that directors should hire actors who can do accents accurately. Sadly, two actors' accents were so bad they knocked me clean out of the film. The script was good, the direction solid and the music was fun. I was particularly impressed with a music-free fight scene though I was disappointed with the use of music during the build to the climax.


How did it leave me feeling? Entertained, for sure. I'm not a big western guy so it's not surprising the movie didn't blow me away. However, it has some really nice moral messages in there and while I give them credit for trying to make the bad guy sympathetic, I don't think they tried hard enough. I wouldn't mind seeing these themes explored again in another movie with both the Shane character and the Ryker character portrayed as good men. That said, the movie is solid and is quite deep for the time period it comes from.


Final Rating? SIYL - See If You Like (3 stars) - If you're into westerns you'll likely dig this (if you haven't already seen it). Perfectly reasonable movie for anyone who enjoys movies from the early 1950s.

ONE LAST NOTE: DO NOT watch the trailer for this movie! It's riddled with spoilers. Seriously. Don't watch it!

Orignal From: SHANE (1953)

No comments: