Monday, September 15, 2008

ThePete VS. PALIN VS. GIBSON: FIGHT! (Round 1)

OK, finally getting to the Palin/Gibson Interview. I felt rather than watching it and having my skin crawl every time Palin opened her mouth (that accent! geh!), I'd just quip to the transcript and post the results here. This is the first time I've read their words and I'm honestly reacting here. No going back and editing (though I may go back and fix typos).

Anyway, the following transcript comes from: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5795641&page=1

If this transcript doesn't match the video, below is how ABC laid the transcript out on their website, so my apologies for any confusion.

Here we go!

Sarah Palin on Experience:

GIBSON: Governor, let me start by asking you a question that I asked John McCain about you, and it is really the central question. Can you look the country in the eye and say "I have the experience and I have the ability to be not just vice president, but perhaps president of the United States of America?"


PALIN: NO! YES!! PASS! PASS!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P Note the transcript will be in italics and blockquoted. :)

PALIN: I do, Charlie, and on January 20, when John McCain and I are sworn in, if we are so privileged to be elected to serve this country, will be ready. I'm ready.


She's ready? I guess she's ready. I mean, she says it, right?

But, I think she's also ready for the Rapture™. ;)

GIBSON: And you didn't say to yourself, "Am I experienced enough? Am I ready? Do I know enough about international affairs? Do I -- will I feel comfortable enough on the national stage to do this?"

What the hell is she going to say to this? What a lame question!
PALIN: I didn't hesitate, no.


Of course she didn't!

GIBSON: Didn't that take some hubris?


Awww, low blow, Charlie! Question her humility just so you can slam her for her hubris? Screw you, dude.

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink.


Yeah and Palin, herself, doesn't blink so much.

So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.


Why would she? Everyone knows programmable robots don't blink.


GIBSON: But this is not just reforming a government. This is also running a government on the huge international stage in a very dangerous world. When I asked John McCain about your national security credentials, he cited the fact that you have commanded the Alaskan National Guard and that Alaska is close to Russia. Are those sufficient credentials?


First good question I've heard from Gibson! Though, I'd have phrased it thusly: "How in HELL can anyone consider 'living near Russia' to be a national security credential??"

PALIN: But it is about reform of government and it's about putting government back on the side of the people,


Whaaa? What does national security have to do with government on the side of the people?

and that has much to do with foreign policy and national security issues


HOW?

Let me speak specifically about a credential that I do bring to this table, Charlie, and that's with the energy independence that I've been working on for these years as the governor of this state that produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy, that I worked on as chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, overseeing the oil and gas development in our state to produce more for the United States.


Yes, but how much of America's energy comes from domestic supplies? I don't know myself, but just to be clear, Palin just bragged about her state providing 20 percent of a portion of America's energy and she's claiming to bring the "energy independence" credential to the table?

AND she phrases this in a way that makes me think she agrees with Gibson's inference that she has no national security credentials. Remember, that *was* the question he asked.

GIBSON: I know. I'm just saying that national security is a whole lot more than energy.


Does Charlie think we're really in Iraq because we're spreading democracy? Dude, national security is all about energy!!

PALIN: It is, but I want you to not lose sight of the fact that energy is a foundation of national security. It's that important. It's that significant.


Wow, little Sarah is such a big girl using words like "foundation" and "significant."

Of course, she's also right. Energy is really the #1 concern after economy for the American people (not that I necessarily agree with those priorities--that's just how most of us behave).

GIBSON: Did you ever travel outside the country prior to your trip to Kuwait and Germany last year?


Isn't it sad that this is a question that has to be asked? I wish all politicians would take it as a requirement to see other cultures up close.

PALIN: Canada, Mexico, and then, yes, that trip, that was the trip of a lifetime to visit our troops in Kuwait and stop and visit our injured soldiers in Germany. That was the trip of a lifetime and it changed my life.


Yeah, seeing all those wounded GIs who got that way for our quest to secure a stable, steady flow of oil--that must have been moving!

GIBSON: Have you ever met a foreign head of state?

PALIN: There in the state of Alaska, our international trade activities bring in many leaders of other countries.


Even though I'm reading this, I keep hearing a cute little-girl voice in my head speaking these words--as though a child wrote them.

"..our international trade activities bring in many leaders of other countries."

Ooo! That sounds so IMPRESSIVE! Who's my wittle guvenor! WHO IS? It's YOU! YOUYOUYOUYOUYOU!

GIBSON: And all governors deal with trade delegations.

PALIN: Right.

GIBSON: Who act at the behest of their governments.

PALIN: Right, right.

GIBSON: I'm talking about somebody who's a head of state, who can negotiate for that country. Ever met one?


PALIN: Right, right, right!

What is she doing? Grading his paper? Hey, Sarah, you might want to try elaborating on some of these answers instead of waiting for Gibson to question you into a corner.


PALIN: I have not and I think if you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you.


Really, and how would you know that? Got a TARDIS to go back and chat?

But, Charlie, again, we've got to remember what the desire is in this nation at this time. It is for no more politics as usual and somebody's big, fat resume maybe that shows decades and decades in that Washington establishment, where, yes, they've had opportunities to meet heads of state ... these last couple of weeks ... it has been overwhelming to me that confirmation of the message that Americans are getting sick and tired of that self-dealing and kind of that closed door, good old boy network that has been the Washington elite.


You mean that same "good old boy network" that McCain comes from? He does come from an endless line of military men and has been in Washington for decades.

Sarah Palin on God:


We'll save this for part 2! That'll be posted tomorrow. Oo, won't that be fun?

Sarah and God! That won't go well!

Thanks for reading!


Orignal From: ThePete VS. PALIN VS. GIBSON: FIGHT! (Round 1)

No comments: