Thursday, September 18, 2008

ThePete's 12 Second Japanese Lesson #2 Hello!


ThePete's 12 Second Japanese Lesson #2 on 12seconds.tv

To be more specific, this lesson is about the word you use to greet someone between about 11am and 6 or 7 in the evening. It looks like:

こんにちわ

In Romaji it's spelled konnichiwa.

The thing to note here is that double "n". It's not just a long consonant sound, like you'll find in some other Japanese words. It's actually two separate sounds--and two different sounds. The first n sound looks like "ん" when written and sounds like a lite version of the "ng" sound, which you make with the back of your mouth. The second "n" sound is the same "n" sound you know and love in English.

That's why I made that silly "ng-nnn" sound in the video ^_^

OK, that's a little longer than 12 seconds of explanation, but I wanted to make sure I explained everything I know about it.

To learn more Japanese online, I recommend checking out Alex Brooke's LearnJapanesePod.com (also visit his site AlexBrooke.com to check out what else he's up to). You might also check out JapanesePod101.com or pick up the book Japanese from Zero: Volume 1 if you want to learn offline.

Did I get something wrong? Tell me! I've got a LOT to learn still, so please help me and others by commenting. Thanks!

Orignal From: ThePete's 12 Second Japanese Lesson #2 Hello!

No comments: