Friday, October 17, 2008

TORTURING DEMOCRACY a New Documentary


I'm a big fan of taking the good with the bad. If it's true, even if it's bad, I want to hear about it and I want to deal with it, the sooner, the better. Sadly (to me), not everyone shares this view. Many people want to deny and ignore as much as they can when they don't like it. When the Abu Ghraib story broke a few years ago, I really didn't want to see those photos. I really didn't want to believe that my government would torture.



I had heard that government officials would take suspects and have them "interrogated" in countries where torture was legal. This disturbed me enough. When the waterboarding stuff broke, I wasn't shocked, but I was disappointed. Then, when Bush insisted that "we don't torture" I knew it was just Orwellian doublespeak and that we do torture.



"Torturing Democracy" is all about America committing acts of torture. According to the official website (http://torturingdemocracy.org/ ) the documentary: "...relies on the documentary record to connect the dots in an investigation of harsh interrogations of prisoners in U.S. custody - and points straight to the top. Timely and powerful, at its heart the film is about the rule of law - and how the government pushed it aside despite the fierce resistance of many on the inside."



Attached to this post is one of the excerpts available on the official site and it features Richard Armitage, Deputy Sec of State under Colin Powell, talking about how he was waterboarded (as part of training) and how he definitely considers waterboarding a form of torture. He also mentions that he's ashamed that the discussion about whether waterboarding is torture or not is even being considered.



If you're in the Washington DC area, watch this docu on WETA at 10pm tonight (10/17/8). Check out a complete listing of channels and times here: http://is.gd/4gLf



OR just go to http://TorturingDemocracy.org/ to watch the entire movie right now.



I have yet to watch it, but plan on doing so this weekend. I'll post a review next week.



Be responsible for what your government does--watch this movie and be offended as you should be. Then, vote accordingly.
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterlireply-count Replies.


Orignal From: TORTURING DEMOCRACY a New Documentary

No comments: