Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Nutshell Take on Health Care "Reform" #HCR

Every morning this week I've woken to media stories about the "sweeping" health care reform bill that is being put together. I haven't read the bill, itself (who has?), but from what I've read it's not that "sweeping" at all. At least not in a sense that it's "sweeping" in a good way.

Forcing most Americans to get insurance is NOT sweeping in a good way, IMHO. It's bad. I don't care if it saves more lives--it robs freedoms from each of us. What freedoms? The freedom to not get health care from a system more interested in making money than actually keeping you healthy. The freedom to be left the hell alone--what if someone doesn't want to get coverage at all? What if, like me, he or she doesn't want to support a system that gets rich off of the sick and has no incentive to find actual cures for people (just treatments)?

One size does not fit all and I don't appreciate Obama, or anyone else, telling me I have to get insurance, affordable or not.

This bill is sweeping in that it "sweeps" a whole mess of new customers into the dirty dustpan that is the health insurance industry.

I hope I'm wrong and have misunderstood something, but I see nothing about this bill that actually benefits Americans so I refuse to buy into the media myth that this is a big deal. The USG is saying it's a big deal (bi-partisan because ONE Republican digs it??) and the media is repeating it verbatim. It's like Iraq all over again. But instead of the military industrial complex making bank off of it, it's the insurance industry that will be flying high.

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

No comments: