Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Robert Wexler emails: "I am leaving Congress. Thank You for Being on My Team." I say: Good riddance.

A little harsh? Meh. After all this time he leaves his job
intentionally. You think he could have risked having to leave his job
for standing up for American principles. Instead, here's what he says
in his latest email to folks on his mailing list:

Dear
Pete,

Today, with both sadness and excitement, I announced that I am leaving
Congress in January to accept the position of President of the Center
for Middle East Peace, a non-profit institute devoted to achieving a
just and comprehensive peace in the Middle East


Because America just doesn't matter to you anymore?

This decision was not easy: I love my job and my
devoted staff, and have a long, close relationship with my
constituents – many of whom I’ve served for nearly 20 years.

Throughout my 13 years in Congress, I sought to be an advocate for
democratic values and provide a voice to vitally important progressive
causes.


How'd that work out for ya?

Whether it was working to end the use of torture by the
Bush Administration, fighting for a legitimate vote during election
2000, successfully pushing for a voter verified paper trail in
Florida, or our shared quest for genuine accountability these last few
years – I’m proud of the stands I’ve taken.

WHY?

I am even prouder to have had you standing with
me.

COUGHlipserviceCOUGH

Those who have followed my career know that in addition
to the progressive causes I have championed, one of my overriding
passions has been my work on the Foreign Affairs Committee helping to
ensure the unbreakable bond between the United States and Israel, and
promoting a comprehensive peace between Israel and the Palestinians
and Israel and the Arab world.

!! Some might suggest those two goals conflict with one another. That aside, what about America, man? Doesn't Israel have enough support in the US?

While I regret that I will be unable to complete my
current term in office, I truly believe we are at a unique and
critically tense moment in the history of the Middle East and
decisions made today will shape the world for years to come. There is
no time to waste.

SURE THERE IS! You've been in office for 13 years--what difference does the rest of your term in office make?

Not much apparently.

The work on issues of accountability did not start with
me, nor will it end with me leaving office. This movement has always
been driven by you – and your support for the vital causes we have
worked on together.

One of the great lessons I learned in my time in Congress I learned
from you - and it is this:
If you stand up for and defend the constitution and rule of law, you
will gain the support of hundreds of thousands of citizens across the
country.


And what did you do with this support?

Quit your job early and work for, what is essentially, part of the Israeli lobby, right?

Thank you for having being part of my team and, most
especially, for being brave American patriots.
With warm regards,

Congressman Robert Wexler

Yeah, bite me Wexy. You're a fricken quitter. You're a loser just like every other politician in Washington who is more worried about money than their principles. People think this is about Republican vs. Democrat. Nope--this is about money vs. principle. Democrat or Republican, both "sides" of the "aisle" are corrupt as hell and in this email you're not afraid to brag about it. Really shameless, Wex. Really. Enjoy your buckets of cash, man!

Picture Source: http://wexler.house.gov

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

No comments: