Saturday, November 21, 2009

Giving Linux another chance on my eee after not finding a way to boot Win7 from an SD (lame!)

So now I'm installing eeeXubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook via Parallels which I will then use to install on an SD that I hope to run on the eee.

I did have eeeXubuntu 7.10 running just fine on the eee (via SD) but thanks to how Linux pretty much forces you to install new apps via repositories (think the iPhone's App Store) I was screwed since all the repositories were out of date and nothing would install properly. I was able to steal Mplayer off my XO, but that can't handle subtitles, so...

Time to start over with a newer version of eeeXubuntu. It's a real shame no one can be bothered to update the eeeXubuntu wiki page at eeeuser.com to reflect that there have been *two* releases of the thing since the version the wiki claims is the latest. I'd do it but I hardly think a Linux newb like me should be trusted to get it right...

I'm such a newb I just realized that I don't need to install eeeXubuntu on my MacBook via Parallels because I'm using a LiveCD! See? Newb.

Luckily, installing in Parallels is wicked fast.

Wish me luck!

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

No comments: