Thursday, October 12, 2006

DEPARTED, THE (2006)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Well, it's Marty directing, so yeah, it's going to be entertaining. But for a film that is from Marty? It should have been much better. This film is dripping with typical "man-movie" testosterone and is as predictable as any "man-movie" we've all seen before. Don't let the director's resume fool you. This movie is pretty damn predictable. Or maybe I'm just so brilliant that I can see through it all, right?
Technically any good? The premise and general structure of the film were just fine--but the execution was all wrong. The ONLY thing that makes the film entertaining, in my mind, was the acting. Everyone was really solid--EXCEPT for Jack Nicholson. The man played the same part he played in 1989's Batman. So many people are giving this film glowing reviews and here's why: Scorsese does a great job of distracting us with his best gags. Suddenly killing people, great character banter, lots of swearing and lots of music and camera movements to make us think the film maker really knows what he's doing. Sadly, he knows what he's doing, but has forgotten the important part of film making--bringing something new to the screen. Imagine Robert Altman directing a "slice of life" undercover cop movie. That was this. Loads of people acting EXACTLY as you'd expect them to. Not a single person was interesting above and beyond the solid acting from Damo! n, DiCaprio and Farmiga. (Full disclosure time: I was in a student film with Farmiga ages ago, so I might be biased about her). This film is just BORING. See this movie and try to remember something you haven't seen in another movie--I bet you can't!
How did it leave me feeling? I've got a new joke: What's the difference between Michael Mann (who directed Manhunter and Heat) and Martin Scorsese? About two hours. Because a story Mann can tell in 90 minutes, Marty can't tell in less than 152. The movie could have ended in at least four different places, but didn't. It just kept going. The good news is that it could have had one more ending, but luckily for me, Marty leaves one plotline unresolved.
Final Rating? RTV - Rent The Video--believe me, you'll be glad you waited for Netflix. Fun to watch, but worth $10? Let's just say I'm glad I still keep my college ID on me. That $1.75 discount will get me an Izze tomorrow at lunch. Of course, the $8.25 I paid could have bought me lunch at Subway.

Orignal From: DEPARTED, THE (2006)

No comments: