Wednesday, October 11, 2006

DON'T UPDATE YOUR iPOD FIRMWARE!!

Wow, Apple is becoming more and more like Micro$oft every day! A couple weeks back I upgraded my beloved 60 GB 5g iPod's firmware to 1.2 only to discover that it doesn't play certain podcasts now. This is a major issue as it refuses to play my favorite podcast along with several other runners up. Just to listen to them, I've been listening to my old 3g iPod. Here's the text from a post I just left on Apple.com's iPod discussion boards:
I have the same problem with certain podcasts causing my 60 GB 5g iPod to restart. It doesn't happen with Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, but does happen with Democracy Now and a couple CBC podcasts I listen to. This is truly absurd. What's even more absurd is what happened to me tonight. I've been using my old 20 GB 3g iPod to listen to the podcasts that the new firmware won't play. I plugged the 3g into my PowerBook and then 5g. OSX 10.4.4 mounted the 3g and the 5g just fine, but iTunes 7 wouldn't see the 5g, despite it recognizing the 5g this morning. I unmount the 5g in Finder, remove it from its dock and then plug it back in. Suddenly, iTunes 7 is asking me if I want to give the 5g the same name as the 3g. I type in the 5g's name and then click done (there wasn't a cancel button as I recall). Then I discover that iTunes has mirrored the contents of my 3g iPod on my 5g!! I am sure all of my music and videos are still on my 5g, but neither Finder nor the iPod's OS will give me access to them. This is BEYOND idiotic. Tonight I will restore back to the ORIGINAL FIRMWARE THAT CAME WITH MY 5G! I am NEVER going to upgrade the iPod firmware EVER AGAIN! I'm SICK OF APPLE RELEASING BUGGY UPDATES AND FORCING ME TO SPEND HOURS RESTORING MY FIRMWARE AND RELOADING MY MEDIA!! I HIGHLY recommend everyone go to MacUpdate and find an app that will let you back all the tracks on your iPod up and restore the firmware to the original version. THIS IS INSANE. Apple should really be ashamed. This rant has been brought to you by A MAC PERSON. Can you tell I'm upset?
About two firmware upgrades ago, the new iPod software decided it would freeze the video on certain tracks after 30-40 seconds. This was a problem plenty of other folks had. So, I'd get about halfway into the titles sequence of my daily anime and suddenly the picture would lock up and I'd have to spin forward or backward to get it to pick back up again only to have it freeze again a few minutes later. Sometimes this would happen through an entire 30 minute track, other times it would go away after a while. Finally, Apple put out a firmware upgrade, I installed it and all was fine with my 5g iPod. I did have a couple issues where my iPod spazzed and would go into perpetual restart mode. This happened twice, and I think it had to do with buggy powermanagement software on the iPod because it seemed to happen when I'd unplug an external battery source (my Belkin external battery pack once and a cigarrette-lighter adapter another time) while the iPod was awake and functioning. Both times the only fix was restoring the system software, aka the firmware. Both times this meant wiping the drive. The first time, I was able to get everything off of my iPod using a simple little app called iLinkPod, which you can find at MacUpdate. I'm sure there's something similar for WinPods. I just dropped it into hard disk mode (by pressing the center button and play) and installed iLinkPod. However, the second time I couldn't get it into hard disk mode, so I had to just wipe it without iLinkPod. Then, iTunes 7 and another firmware update came out and I (quite stupidly) assumed that both upgrades would be fine. I really liked the idea of finally having "seemless audio" (aka the iPod would no longer include annoying gaps between songs). Now, I'm thinking the gaps are WAY better than all the crap I've been dealing with. So, if you have a recent model iPod, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NEVER UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE!!

Orignal From: DON'T UPDATE YOUR iPOD FIRMWARE!!

No comments: