Monday, October 23, 2006

PRESTIGE, THE (2006)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Without a doubt, yes. However, that's not to say the film is perfect--not by a long shot. That said, most people will probably enjoy this film just fine. Unless you're like me.
Technically any good? I'll start with the good news. The FX were really cool. The scenes with Tesla's machine are beautiful. The cinemtography was great and I felt the acting was very strong. Jackman and Bale are always good and it was nice to see Scarlett Johanssen in a role she could sink her teeth into, somewhat. Now the bad news--the script. While, on the surface, it feels like a great movie, the script is structured in such a cumbersome way it was difficult for me, a writer, to watch. The whole time I kept thinking "why did Nolan do it this way? It would have worked just fine, and better in fact, if you just structured it like a traditional narrative!" I still feel this way. The film has a lot of point-of-view changes, time-period changes and at any given time I couldn't tell you what plot point fell where in the scheme of things. I also felt the tone was even until the climax where it got very dark, very quickly. Frankly, I didn't buy th! e ending, which is sad since that's what the title of the movie refers to. That final reveal in a magic trick, or in this case, a movie that relies on tricks and gimmicks far more than it needs to.
How did it leave me feeling? Reasonably satisfied, but I really feel strongly that this film was over-done. Batman Begins, the director's last film, was simple, straightforward. It knew what it wanted to do and did it without a lot of cheesey "slight of hand". This film is exactly the opposite. It's still entertaining, however.
Final Rating? RTV - Rent The Video. Honestly, it's fun, but nothing that will really change your life for seeing it on the big screen.

Orignal From: PRESTIGE, THE (2006)

No comments: