Monday, April 16, 2007

LOOKER (1981)

[asin: B00005JP4N]
Positive Experience/Entertaining? Sure, but for completely childish and base reasons. This is the worst Michael Crichton movie that I know of, though Sphere was probably worse.
Technically any good? While the concepts and premise are very fascinating and damn intriguing, but the execution just doesn't work when you seriously think about it. I mean, why are these women dying? The film never explains it, but there's enough distraction so you don't mind--including Susan Dey naked. The acting was fine, music was cheesy as hell (it was 1981) and the script was melodramatic (again, it was 1981, so was everything else those days).
How did it leave me feeling? Entertained, but not as blown away as I remember myself being when I was a kid watching this over and over and over on HBO. I'd recommend this film if it weren't for it's cheesy (in a bad way) features and completely unexplained reason for the women dying. To it's credit, it's anti-advertising/Hollywood message are definitely cool and much of the tech it explores is now possible, but that doesn't make up for it's weaknesses, in my opinion.
Final Rating? NFIIYM - NetFlix It If You Must - Don't spend any money, but see if you're a crazed Crichton fan or are desperate to see Susan Dey's breasts.

Orignal From: LOOKER (1981)

No comments: