Wednesday, April 18, 2007

MORE WHITE FOLKS CRYING TO MUSIC EVEN

Ahhh, when ever there's an American tragedy, it's usually the white folks that end up on the main page of CNN's website. Last night was no different as coverage of the Virginia Tech Massacre memorial(s) began.

Once again, I'd like to repeat that my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims. It is a truly tragic thing that happened. Without a doubt.

What's also tragic is that, apparently, there are only white people in Virginia. The only people I saw mourning in the CNN.com coverage were white folks. This reminds me of AP.org coverage of Katrina, when they would report on White Victims carrying their belongings through the water and Black Looters Making Off with Stuff that Wasn't Theirs.

OH yeah, and then we mustn't forget NBC's coverage of the massacre. One of the podcasts I listen to is a short news brief from MSNBC. Usually it's a very bare bones piece that blasts through the latest news hosted by a lesser anchor whose face I'd recognize but name I can never remember. Yesterday the podcast was hosted by Meredith Vierra and Matt Lauer and was recorded live on the Virginia Tech campus where students are still trying to cope with the tragedy. I'm not sure how much I object to their location, I think it was the dramatic soundtrack that was offensive. You know that music they run in movies where you're supposed to feel concerned and on the edge of your seat for some woman in distress? It's usually violin music that is suggesting something very serious and even desperate is going on. This is the music that was playing behind Matt and Meredith's "coverage".

So, the event wasn't dramatic enough.

Our shock isn't (over-)dramatic enough.

We need... a soundtrack.

Now we know why more and more people get their news from the Internet.



Orignal From: MORE WHITE FOLKS CRYING TO MUSIC EVEN

No comments: