Tuesday, December 02, 2008

My Jailbroken iPhone 3G Starting Up with the 2.2 Update Onboard

Thanks to all the hackers out there who make this possible!!  I am but a humble wannabe hax0r who wishes he had the dedication to hack on the same level as the guys at iphone-dev.org and everyone else who did work on the iPhone that I'm not even aware of.


Hacking goes to the very core of who I am as a person.  I look at society and see a massively, uselessly complicated pile of rituals and traditions that have all been created by someone, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not.  I see systems in place that exploit but reward, so they are tolerated.  I see a country of people, in America, who allow so much to continue simply because they choose not to ask "why?"  As humans, it's our job to ask "why?" of everything.  There are always alternatives--sometimes they are better.


The iPhone is a perfect example of a system in place that shouldn't be there.

Hacking it via Jailbreaking re-exerts the rights we should all have over the things we willingly take into our lives.  


It may seem a small victory over the lack of freedom that has crept into all of our lives, but it's a victory, at least.  It also may seem odd to compare such grand ideals to something as geeky and seemingly inconsequential as a cell phone, but multiply all of these little compromises we make for society and you end up with a country of people who thinks a Cadillac is a sporty car and coal can be clean.


So, there you go--the iPhone is an awesome little powerhouse and now I have more power over it.


Posted by email from thepete's posterous



Orignal From: My Jailbroken iPhone 3G Starting Up with the 2.2 Update Onboard

No comments: