Wednesday, December 17, 2008

WATER (2006)


Buy it!
Watch it now!
Positive Experience/Entertaining? It was definitely a positive experience, but a bit on the vague-side when it comes to connecting the theme up with the events of the movie. The plot was fine, but beyond the river flowing by I didn't get any idea of where the title comes from (yes, water washes away sins, but why didn't it for these women?). The movie was probably a bit longer than it needed to be, or just slightly less interesting that it should have been, in my opinion. I wasn't expecting explosions or chase scenes, but something about this movie just felt a little slow.


Technically any good? The story was very interesting and very important. The script was pretty solid as was most of the acting. I wish I could have seen a bit more from the lead child, range-wise, but giving that she wasn't speaking her native language, I have to say she did a good job. The rest of the casting was generally spot-on, but the prostitute character was WAY too hot. She did a good job with the acting, but I just didn't buy that someone that hot and that white-looking would end up in what was essentially a prison for widows (the actress is apparently known as the Angelina Jolie of India!). I had only one other real problem with the movie aside from its pacing and that was a moment where a character behaved in a way that seemed dictated by the plot and not the character. Still, this movie was beautiful and stunning to watch. I just wish the pace was a bit quicker or that there was more to look at while I was waiting for the next plot point to occur.


How did it leave me feeling? Pretty satisfied, over all. I knew nothing about the issue of widows in India or how many are ostracized from society. While the movie takes place during Gandhi's time, it is apparently still a problem. Seems that humanity, in general, is good at oppressing women--even when the oppressors are women, themselves. Makes no sense.


Final Rating? GSN - Go See Now - India is a fascinating culture and while I wouldn't rank this film up among my absolute favorites, I think it's a pretty good movie and a very good introduction to Indian culture (despite it being a negative aspect of Indian culture).

Orignal From: WATER (2006)

No comments: