Monday, January 26, 2009

toys.thepete.com: Ja Ne Neko

Translation: See Ya Kitty!

Ja Ne Neko, as a project, came about when I was in an Urban Outfitters and spotted a beaten up, unboxed Hello Kitty covered in pastel-colored hearts. She had been marked down to $3 so I figured I'd take her home, give it a few coats of primer and then see what I could do with her.

As you can see in the early shots, she started out a but more sexually oriented but then I decided to go the Clockwork Orange route (got the idea from a Kylie Minogue video). :) I'm happy with the results, though I wish I had a lighter gray to work with--perhaps that's a limitation of working with permanent marker.

Check out my Flickrset for "Ja Ne Neko" or keep reading for more pics and details about this piece:



Here was my initial design--I had the Clockwork Orange idea early on, but beyond the blue hair and black bow, I was thinking of taking the rest of her in a more juxtapository direction by slapping the attire of a sexy, hooker-ish woman on her. Here is that design done in pencil:

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 01)


And here is her back, uh, side:

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 03)


Here she is with the pure "CO" design, with partial color. I used Bic permanent markers for this. In some cases I prefer Bic markers because they look more like watercolors. This seemed more appropriate (ironic) for a cartoon kitty who's principle interests are rape, ultraviolence and Beethoven.
(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 04)


Same point in the project but the rear view. Yikes! She's got assless pants on!! :P

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 05)


Here she's got her blue hair partially done and her suspenders in black:
(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 06)


Here's the rear view of her with her hair started and her suspenders and tailcodpiece finished in Sharpie black:

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 07)


Here is Ja Ne Neko without the detail on her cuffs and collar. Her ribbon is still white, too:

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 08)


Here's the rear view with her hair done but, like the above pic, she is still lacking the finer detailing on the cuffs and, of course, her boots are still white, as well:

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 09)


And finally, the finished product! OK, well, I still have yet to clean up the errant bits of pencil still visible, but the coloring is done. Note her black bow and boots:

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 10)


The bow is meant to suggest the bowler hats from the "Clockwork Orange" costumes. And here's a final shot on her backside ;)

(20080830 Ja Ne Neko 13)


What do you think?

I'm pretty happy with her. In fact, I've been toying (HA) with the idea of doing more Kitty customs not unlike this one.
()


Orignal From: toys.thepete.com: Ja Ne Neko

No comments: