Tuesday, July 24, 2007

BABY FACE (1933)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Definitely, though ultimately, pretty preachy. It's a film that starts off like a feminist how-to book (be strong, aggressive), becomes a prostitution-to-the-top handbook which has a final chapter that describes how you went wrong in reading the rest of the book. In other words, it's entertaining, but a little preachy.


Technically any good? The story is solid and believable. What is missing is the romance. I am one of those rare people that would like to see more than just a beautiful woman as a reason for men to fall head-over-heels in addicted love for them. I know it's Stanwick and she's beautiful and all, but she doesn't have much of an effect on me, so I would have liked to see what she did to make the men so happy. I guess we're supposed to assume that she was that crazy in bed or something. The acting was pretty solid as well and the direction invisible (as it should be).


How did it leave me feeling? Satisfied, but the ending is particularly preachy. I don't think I needed a different kind of ending, but I did feel it worked out a bit too neatly.


Final Rating? SIYL - See If You Like - While no Double Indemnity, there are some nice things about this movie that make it worth seeing. It is pretty behind the times and ahead of them, as the lead character hangs with a black woman. Imagine that.

Buy this movie and two other classics from Amazon:
[asin: B000I2JDF8]

Orignal From: BABY FACE (1933)

No comments: