Tuesday, July 10, 2007

DIY CLOCK "CONTEST" MEANS NEW DESIGNERS WORK FOR FREE

I love electronics and/or toy related DIY projects. I like to call myself an analog (non-digital) hacker. I don't do software, but the idea of jamming some kind of electronic device inside something it isn't normally found inside of fills me with glee. The guy who runs BenHeck.com is a demi-God to me, of course. That said, I make mad dashes to DIY contests. Lately I've been concerned with DIY toy contests, but today, I came across [http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/09/furni-offers-diy-clock-kit-kicks-off-design-competition/|this post] at Engadget.com talking about a DIY clock contest from the euro-cool designy company Furni.

It turns out they've got a short stack of retro "cool" digital and analog clocks and are now selling just the innards of a digital clock to folks who want to enter their [http://furni.myshopify.com/products/diy-clock-parts-kit|clock design contest]. The prize? A shot at having your design in their next collection of designy products.

If that doesn't seem like enough of a rip to you, check out how much the DIY clock guts cost: $24.

Yep, for a clock and a wall-wart for power--as many dollars as there are in the day. Seems like another rip, charging that much for items you could score from your nearest corner drug store for about $14 cheaper (and those parts would come in a ready made case and I wouldn't have to pay extra for shipping!).

The good news is that in the fine print of the contest/product page, they say you don't actually have to buy the parts or even build anything. You can enter the contest with a "decent" drawing or sketch.

I was thinking I'd just do that, but then I had a really cool idea for a DIY toy project :) TheWife and I have been thinking about replacing the clock radio in the bathroom... ^_^ .




Orignal From: DIY CLOCK "CONTEST" MEANS NEW DESIGNERS WORK FOR FREE

No comments: