Friday, July 20, 2007

LA MOVING GOING WILL NEVER BE THE SAME

Ohhhh, this is so sad.

One of us has died.

And by "us" I mean the group of people I was prominently a member of before I got all busy with politics and shit.

And by "the group of people I was prominently a member of before I got all busy with politics and shit" I mean, movie buffs.

Damn.

The guy who, since 1978, has owned, operated and programmed the New Beverly Cinema in Hollywood, just down the street from CBS Television City on Beverly Blvd, has died of a heart attack.

According to a statement at NewBevCinema.Com, Sherman Torgan died doing something he loved to do--riding his bike on the Santa Monica bike path.

I've been going to the New Bev for over ten years. I remember when he charged just $3 for a double feature. It's now $7, but it's still the best deal in town.

Oh, I'm so depressed now...

Fuck.

I think I saw him almost every time I saw a movie there and despite that, I never spoke more than a few words to him. Truth be told, he wasn't the warmest of fellows, but his love of great and diverse cinema put us in that same group. And now, he's gone and the LA movie-going landscape will never be the same.

I'll probably see a movie this weekend and as cheesy as it sounds, the picture will seem a bit less bright.

Yeah, it's corny, so what? He was one of us.

....and he will be remembered!

RIP SHERMAN TORGAN .




Orignal From: LA MOVING GOING WILL NEVER BE THE SAME

No comments: