Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The New iPods: ThePete is Moderately Impressed


It's so preeeeety...MY... PRECIOUS!!
OK, so, you know everything there is to know about this thing and you are/might be wondering what ThePete could find wrong with the new iPod Touch.

Well, for starters, I don't mind that it's only 12 gigs. In future models the storage space will go up. Plus, eventually, there will be a firmware upgrade allowing flash content (and other multimedia) to be playable from the Internet. Then, as long as you're near wifi, it won't matter how big your storage is. No, I think it's bizarre that they left out Bluetooth. It's in almost every phone available today (including the iPhone) and just seems so logical. I've been a personal media player user since they first came out and headphone-cables have been my biggest complaint, almost since day one. Seriously, it's the 21st flippin' century! Why do we still have to PLUG IN.

Another gripe I have is the lack of camera. Sure, it can surf the web and play my favorite media and it's got a touch screen, but what about a cam? The iPhone's got one--why not add one to the iPod just for shits and giggles? Imagine being able to shoot video (something you can do with the iPhone) and either store it locally or upload it to the 'net? Hell, if the thing could just play flash AND have the camera, you could record directly to You Tube from your iPod Touch--that would be pretty sweet, huh? Well, perhaps they'll have a camera accessory.

While I'm talking about shooting video, let's consider why Apple didn't include the ability to record video. TimToon suggested that it was because recording video was more of a "home appliance" kind of feature. However, I feel like I'd much rather have a DVR in the palm of my hand that I could take where ever I went than have a giant thing on top of my TV. I love my giant thing, but I would prefer a thing I could stick in my pocket.

Wow, that came out much dirtier than I meant it to.

And so did that.

ANYway...the point is, video recording is something other gadgets can do already. My minicam from Aiptek (MPVR) can record directly into ASF format. Sure, it's not the greatest quality, but I'm cool with that compromise for being able to record anywhere I happen to be.

On the whole, that's all that's bugging me about this bad boy. Sure, there are other features I'd like it to have, but the above-mentioned ones are all that REALLY matter to me. Does this mean I won't be buying one?

Probably not.

As in, I'll probably not avoid buying one. ^_^

And that new Product (Red) iPod Shuffle looks like it would make a good addition to my iPod collection. Of course, there's also the new Product (Red) iPod Nano Phat, too. I may just see if I can find a first gen P(R) Nano marked down, though. I don't know. I love the P(R) stuff.

DAMN YOU, STEVE JOBS!!

But I love you, too, Steve Jobs...

Sometimes, TheWife thinks I love you too much...

Sometimes, I agree with her...

OH Yeah and if you JUST bought an iPhone and are annoyed to see the price drop, TUAW.com has a post that tells you what to do to make it better:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/05/apple-screwed-you-so-now-what/

Seriously, check it out. If you just bought an iPod, I'd check out the article, too. I have one friend who just today bought a new 5.5 gen black 30 gig iPod--he totally missed the news and didn't know that after today he could buy an 80 gig iPod for the same price. Soooo, what to do? Check the article (or just politely complain to the Apple store--that's what I'd do).

/creepy post

Orignal From: The New iPods: ThePete is Moderately Impressed

No comments: