Wednesday, September 05, 2007

No, Really, I Am Working on a Second Life Plog

I've been in inside Second Life a total of fifteen times since I first logged on, oh, back in June, I think? I'm finding it more and more addictive and, as a result, I've been slow with my involvement with it. I don't want to get fully addicted. Just making stuff I've managed to blow quite a bit of time. I've got the screencaps to back that up, too. Check them out here: http://urltea.com/1cjt and you'll see why I'm behind. It's pretty involved and I haven't been captioning after ever SL session. However, slowly but surely, I've been captioning those screencaps to create a sort of Plog or Picture Log of my adventures. I've got three more days of screen grabs I still need to upload, too. Feel free to check those pics out, but don't expect them all to make sense.

In the meantime, my friend Lisa, OnLisaReinsRadar.com, has been spending a whole mess of time inside SL and not too long ago posted on an incident she first told me about when she was visiting a couple months back--it was the Self-Replicating Beach Ball Incident.

Yeah, that's right--in an environment where the only two resources are your imagination and electricity, in a virtual world where you can create anything you want over and over, someone did something horrible by creating a single self-replicating beach ball.

Harmless? As if. Just have a look at this screencap that I stole from Lisa's site:



You can see the problem. Each ball replicates and each of those new balls replicate while the original beach balls also replicate again and so on and so on and so on, until... until, well, we think it might have brought the entire Second Life grid down. We're not sure, to be honest since SL management isn't always forthcoming. In her post (here: http://urltea.com/1et2), Lisa talks about how around the same time there was talk of grid attacks--where people were intentionally trying to bring down the grid (think of it as trying to bring down The Matrix). Pretty bizarre stuff.

Anyway, check out Lisa's post for all the fun deets.

And I promise I'm working on the SL Plog and will post more about it soon...

Orignal From: No, Really, I Am Working on a Second Life Plog

No comments: