Monday, February 23, 2009

INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (2009) (Preemptive Strike)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? based on the trailer? I'd say this movie is bad for all of humanity. You know? There was a time when I would have wanted to see a movie like this--it was the 1980s--a time of shallow, petty, self-centered thinking, when it was still easy to think of a world in terms of "us" versus "them."

The trailer makes me wonder if the director has grown-up at all since then.


Technically any good? I have to admit that I am seriously biased against Tarantino's films. The only one I've ever liked (and I do love this movie) was True Romance and he only wrote the script. I thought all the others he's made have been over-rated and ultimately kinda stupid. This movie, again based on the trailer, looks no different.

Sure, the FX will look great--it's QT, his movies are always slick looking. They're just lacking in any interesting story or characters. Speaking of story, the story of this movie looks amazingly simple and uninteresting. Not to mention amoral and encouraging the audience to feel good about being violent again.

We can't feel good about our war on terror, so we'll feel good about killing Germans.

Yeah, that's just what we need.

Acting-wise? Who cares? It's a QT movie. Good acting doesn't really matter. It's all about TheSlick.


How did it leave me feeling? It left my skin crawling. How Brad Pitt agreed to do this movie after reading the script is beyond me. The trailer illustrates one of the few things that was wrong with World War II on both sides--the absurd hatred of the other side.

Now Tarantino is going to glorify that hatred.

Yeah, there was a time when I would have loved a movie like this. But then I grew up.


Final Rating? DNS - Do Not See. Let's not encourage this kind of storytelling. Let's ignore QT for a while in the hopes that he'll go back to telling actual stories with actual characters, like he did in True Romance. Wouldn't that be nice?

But don't trust my opinion--click on the poster image above and watch the trailer for yourself and see how good it makes you feel.

Orignal From: INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (2009) (Preemptive Strike)

No comments: