Wednesday, February 11, 2009

MATEWAN (1987)


Buy it!
Positive Experience/Entertaining? Wow--what a great movie. Powerful and depressing that these events really happened.


Technically any good? It was a little disjointed, probably due to the fact that it was based on real life, but generally, it was very well put together. The acting was great, as you would expect from a John Sayles movie and the attention to periodness also seemed spot-on. I should mention that a couple of the characters end up being very pat badguys. It's obvious who they are and I don't blame the actors for this. I blame the script and the direction, so I blame Sayles for both, since he was also the screenwriter. Still these few mistakes don't ruin the movie, not by a long shot.


How did it leave me feeling? Depressed, as I mentioned above, these events really happened. If you're curious what I'm referring to, just see the movie and you'll see what I mean. It's worth it and what's scary is that it all happened on American soil and still does happen today in other countries.


Final Rating? GSN - Go See Now - it's an important (if flawed) history lesson (a flawed history lesson is better than no lesson about this little heard-of part of American history).

Sadly, this film is no longer in print. However, I was able to Netflix it. You can probably find it used via Amazon.com, too.

After watching this movie, you might want to check out the Wikipedia.org article for the Battle of Blair Mountain which was an event that was inspired by the events depicted in the climax of the film Matewan.

Orignal From: MATEWAN (1987)

No comments: