Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Webmastering Getting Very Annoying

So, I've been trying to find the time to work out some kinks/bugs on my sites for a while now. Finally, after dealing with the holidays, catching the flu and dealing with the dayjob, I thought I'd have some time over this past weekend. Then, my Internet connection goes down for two days. Last night it was back up and so I managed to make a bunch of changes to TheFunniesPage.Com, PocketReviews.Net and was able to put up a link to my newest site, Website666.com (not much is there yet, so don't get your hopes up). I was also trying to set things up so I can email posts directly to my blog. Then, today at the dayjob, I get an email from Jen telling me my site was down. Turns out there was a dramatic spike in traffic that was so dramatic it sent all of my sites and a bunch of others on the same server as mine, down as well. Did I get an email from support? Of course not. When I did contact them they replied a couple hours later telling me that access to my site had been disabled because of the immense traffic my site was getting. Now, that cracks me up for two reasons: 1) I hardly get any traffic. I mean, a big day for me is when I see 1500 unique visitors. Usually it's closer to 1000. This ain't no DailyKos. 2) I got no warning that my site was going to be down. No contact. No nothing. Not even an email telling me my site had been disabled after the fact. What's worse was that when I did hear back from support they're like "do you know why this happened? If you do and you are expecting this traffic to continue, you need to upgrade your account". Uh-huh, yeah, an extreme spike in traffic and I meant that to happen? Sure, it's possible, but reeeeally? Come on, dude. Besides that, I couldn't even access my logs to see for myself what had happened. Then, when I finally did get access, I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I did see a jump from last month in the overall traffic, but couldn't see any specific file that was being accessed a bunch more times. My theory is that I was hit by comment spammers. The same thing happened to me almost precisely a year ago. They didn't let me know about the traffic jump then, either. Claimed I didn't have an updated email address with them despite the fact that I was getting my "renew your domain names" notices just fine. Anyway, so there's this massive spike in traffic, but I think it's just spammers who slammed headlong into my anti-spam measures. In the end, I'm starting to get really annoyed with the whole process of webmastering. All this stupid crap is getting really old. Last year it took me 9 months to pay off the traffic-overage-fees my host charged me because they couldn't find the right email address (that they could have found by using a simple WHOIS search). This time around I haven't been charged anything yet, but who knows? If this traffic spike comes back my site will go down again or I'll get charged more--possibly both. It's all enough to make me think about shutting this damn site down. I'm sick of this crap. I just want to run a friggin' website. I don't understand why I can't just do that. I have to deal with spammers and literally pay for what THEY do. I don't ask them to slam my server with traffic, yet I got charged for it last year. I just want to blog. That's all. I want to post my little pictures and my videos and express myself without having to deal with all sorts of this bullshit. I'm not mad at my host, I just wish they could keep me better informed. I understand why they did what they did, but if they had let me know what was up, I could have taken steps to avoid the problem myself. Maybe I should just stop. If I just quit this whole game I'd have soooo much more time to myself, too...

Orignal From: Webmastering Getting Very Annoying

No comments: