Monday, October 15, 2007

Whoops! Today is Blog Action Day on the Environment

Almost forgot!

Actually, I did forget, but let's face it--the environment is kind of a lame thing to do a Blog Action Day on, don't you think? I mean, the whole point of BAC, according to http://blogactionday.org/ is "On October 15th - Blog Action Day, bloggers around the web will unite to put a single important issue on everyone's mind."

This year's "important issue" is the environment but isn't it already on everyone's mind? I mean, Al Gore just won the Nobel Prize for crying out loud--do we really need to "unite" for such an incredibly well-known cause?

How about poverty? How about cancer? How about something that is currently being generally ignored by most people?

Seriously, what's the flipping point of wasting all of these blogs working together on informing everyone about what we already know?

On top of that, my theory on the environment is that if we just learn to be decent to each other, the environment will be saved as a side-effect. If each one of us wanted to stop causing our neighbor (and ourselves) to breathe toxic, cancer-causing air, we'd sell our car and start taking the bus.

Do we?

Nope!

But if all of us did, imagine how much cleaner our skies would be.

I think the mistake people trying to save the environment make is that they keep making it about the environment. They should be making it about saving ourselves.

One day, I was walking down the street, here in Los Angeles, as I saw a flier that had been glued to a light post. It had been mostly torn off, but what remained warned me that the air I was breathing (and continue to breathe to this day) is carcinogenic. It also said that studies had concluded this. Sadly, there was so much of the flier torn off that I couldn't find any sources to back up the claim. However, since then, I've been haunted by that damn flier.

If I told you the air you were breathing was poison, you'd care, right?

Fuck the polar bears. I don't want cancer!

Orignal From: Whoops! Today is Blog Action Day on the Environment

No comments: