Wednesday, January 27, 2010

iPad? iDon't. Why I think Apple's "Magical" new device should be called iNewton.

I'll keep this very short:

1) no Flash

2) no multitasking

3) no webcam

4) no way

Calling this halfway between an iPhone and a laptop is a joke.
Calling it "magical" reminds me of the famous Arthur C. Clarke quote
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic." I think Apple desperately wants us to view the iPad as
"sufficiently advanced" but really, it's not. It's just a giant
iPhone. It doesn't do anything the iPhone can't already do--in fact,
The iPhone can do more--it has a camera. Sure, the iPad has a bigger
screen, but so what? This isn't innovation at all. It's just a device
that lets you do things bigger.

The Asus T91MT (http://is.gd/7aWaE ) is more along the lines of what I
think makes a good mid-range device and is what I'd rather own. Sure,
the iPad is more sleek and sexier than the Asus, but the Asus runs a
full OS. It comes with Win7 but you could put Linux on it or dual-boot
it. It's got a multitouch screen with a tablet mode, so you get the
best of all worlds. It's slower than a full-powered laptop, but
that's why it costs $500 and is so small and portable. It's all about
balance. What I'm going to miss without the iPad is the $30 unlimited
3G data connection. THAT I want bad. But it's AT&T so it'll be slow
and snails, flaky, and will likely be plagued with dropped
connections. For $30 more a month I can use Verizon's MiFi portable
wifi hotspot (http://is.gd/7aYuM ) that will give the T91MT (and 4
other devices) a 5GB/mo of 3G connection. Sure, that's not
"unlimited," but it's *Verizon*.

So, again, the iPad isn't innovating anything.

The iPad may not flop as hard as the Newton did, but it won't be for
lack of trying.

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thank you! I'm a bit of a mac myself, & I find the glassy-eyed techies in the advertisements toting their item as "magical" to be somewhere between creepy & offensive. Have you read Jaron Lanier's new book? He may be a bit of a nutter himself, but he's got a point- we are not gadgets, & there's nothing magical about them. They don't exist without us there to interact with them.

Carl Gundel said...

I'm disappointed. How can it be called any kind of pad and not have a stylus and a handwriting recognizer? Also, I agree that it's ridiculous that the iPad doesn't have a memory card slot.

C'mon Apple, you can do better.