Friday, March 12, 2010

NationalGeographic.com asks: Liberals, Atheists Are More Highly Evolved? I answer: DUH! Of COURSE we are! ;)

Well, I'm not a fan of the "L" word, since it's so closely associated to the Democrats, but the lowercase "l" word I'm cooler with. But I digress! Please check out this excerpt from a March 5, 2010 "NatGeo" article reporting on Satoshi Kanazawa's theory that the smarter you are the more open-minded, less religious and more caring you are:

 

Kanazawa's evidence is in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, or Add Health, which has been tracking the same group since 1994.

The study used a picture-based vocabulary test to estimate the IQ of participating teenagers. Seven years later, the same people were asked about their religious and political beliefs.

People who later admitted to being "not at all religious," and who classified themselves as "very liberal" politically had higher IQ scores as teenagers than those who were "very religious" and "very conservative."

Now, Kanazawa goes on to admit that the intelligence difference isn't huge, but really, the theory still makes sense. Just think of it logically: the more open you are to trying new things the more likely it is that you'll survive. Since you're smart, you're less likely to try things that might be detrimental (though, we're all human, so mistakes will still happen).

*Or* you could cling to rules set up in a 2000 year-old book and expect them to guide you safely through 21st century life.

You know, which ever makes more sense...

Hit up the article for more on this--it makes for a really interesting read.

I think it's particularly interesting since I'm not just an Atheist, but I'm also a political independent--no party affiliation for me--I'm keeping everything open to debate! I guess that means I'm *really* smart, right?

;P

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: