Friday, March 19, 2010

E.E. Cummings: "To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else...

"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing it's best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest batle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
-E.E. Cummings.

Yeah, but what if you're really tired of fighting?

I love advice like this because it sounds so perfect and true in soundbite form without any context or instructions on how to apply it to your every day life. I mean seriously--I look at quotes like this and wonder if the guy who said it had everything handed to him or if he was the biggest sado-masochistic bastard who ever walked the Earth.

"I feel like enjoying the pain of others--let me craft a brilliantly inspirational soundbite that will oversimplify all of life's problems and convince people that it *is* possible to be yourself in a society that forces you to be like everyone else! It'll be a riot! Well, assuming you like to watch people suffer!"

Did I say I "love" advice like this? Sorry, I meant "hate."

Love, hate, so easy to get those two confused...

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: