Tuesday, February 06, 2007

DALEKS TO DOCTOR WHO: AN I MATE!

Ha-ha! I'm such a dork! When I'm not bemoaning the state of the world penning brilliant commentary on the state of the planet Earth (or writing other, more fictional works), I'm trying to find the time to be a geek. I used to be BIG into Star Wars and while I'm still a fan of the original first two movies, I just can't get too excited about that franchise anymore. I also used to be an uber-Trekkie. I was never a Trekker--those guys take themselves way too seriously. Sadly, Trek came to suck long before even Star Wars. So, what's a scifi geek to do? Go back further (farther?) to the franchise that you loved before the original Star Wars film was even released--travel back in time to before the original Star Trek began airing. What SciFi franchise is older than both Star Wars AND Star Trek? Doctor Who. As fate would have it, the BBC began shooting the show again back in 2005 (it had been the longest running TV show of any genre spanning from the early 1960s through to the late 1980s). The new series starred Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and was fun, imaginative and unashamed to hold, only tenuously, to realism. That's what I liked about it, actually. It wrote off anything absurd as being space stuff. Alien tech, or something from the distant future. The point is, it was cool scifi! Eccleston is a great actor, but didn't want to be typecast, so he left and was replaced by David Tennant who has done a great job (in this geek's opinion) as the last Timelord. The thing is, 13 episodes of Who, just aren't enough. I mean, a couple weeks after watching each new season I'm calling the show Doctor When! HA! Anywho, (I did it again!) the great news is that why the latest season of Doctor Who airs in Britain (the third series, as they'd refer to it) there will be an animated version of the show--13 whopping animated episodes! I can't wait! And check out that pic--those are some pretty sweet designs. I mean, it's a tiny pic, but you have to admit it looks good. (Hell, that kind of looks like me as the Doctor, doesn't it? Just agree with me!) When will this new animated series begin airing? I don't know (the BBC is always cryptic) but I'll definitely post when I hear. In the meantime, check the SciFi channel, here in the US for new Who's or check out Bit Torrent, where I hear a few episodes can be found :) Ah, I'm still such a geek!

Orignal From: DALEKS TO DOCTOR WHO: AN I MATE!

No comments: