Thursday, February 22, 2007

US MILITARY SHARES MY OPINION OF 24 TV SHOW

I remember when the pilot for the TV show 24 was first floating around. This was before 911 and I actually got to screen it for some folks back when I was still a projectionist. I didn't watch it because it was one of those days where I had to ready a print for the next screening or maybe there was someone else in the booth at the time, I don't recall. Still, I remember thinking the premise was cool so I made sure to find a review of it when they started popping up. Before I could find one 911 happened. At some point later I found a review of 24. I couldn't tell you who wrote it or even where I found it. What I can tell you is what stuck with me from it. The critic said something to the effect of this: "I saw the pilot before 911 and it found it to be slick and gripping. After 911 I find it trite and contrived." Over the following years I came to hear how great the show was. This made me want to stay away from it even more since I didn't want to get addicted to a TV show. No time. Then I heard something a politician said. He was explaining that torture was acceptable in cases where authorities knew there was a bomb about to go off and they had in custody someone who could help authorities stop it. I remember smirking and wondering where that politician learned his morals. Then I heard that the scenario he described was common on the show 24. Over the following weeks and months I managed to see a clip or two of the show. One featuring some sort of weapons deal gone wrong and a scene where Kiefer holds a gun to a dark-skinned man's knee and yells at him. Understandably, I got really concerned about the show. I decided that it could easily have a very negative effect on people who watched it. If it glamorized that kind of "interrogation" which basically boils down to a form of mental torture (and physical torture if Kiefer had pulled the trigger) people watching the show might think torture was OK if it meant saving lives. The thing is, torture is NOT OK, EVER. Even if it's to save lives. What good is a life if you saved it by removing someone else's freedom? There's an old saying: "Live free or die." Here's another old saying: "Give me liberty or give me death." I believe in that kind of principle. Living without morals isn't living, in my opinion. It's surviving. It's what the animal kingdom does. So, I have put off and put off watching 24. Now, my viewpoint has been validated by an unlikely source--the US Military. Yeah, go fig. Check out this blurb from WENN.com's [http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2007-02-14/#celeb4|movie/TV news column from February 14, 2007] available at IMDB.com:
The US military has criticized the producers of TV hit 24 for featuring too many scenes of Kiefer Sutherland's character Jack Bauer torturing suspects for information. Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan recently visited the set of the hit show in California to speak to the show's makers. Finnegan is concerned about the effect the torture scenes are having on US troops abroad as 24 is popular among members of the American armed forces. According to the New Yorker, Finnegan told the producers, "I'd like them to stop. They should do a show where torture backfires. The kids see it and say, 'If torture is wrong, what about 24?' The disturbing thing is that although torture may cause Jack Bauer some angst, it is always the patriotic thing to do." Human Rights First spokesman David Danzig says, "I think there is no ques! tion (that torture scenes are having an effect). We have spoken to soldiers with experience in Iraq who say, for young soldiers, there is a direct relationship between what they are doing in their jobs and what they see on TV. The image of the US and its military is being affirmed."
That's something I hadn't even considered. The military is probably the first group of people I should have been concerned with since they're in the perfect position to live out anything they see on 24. And right there is proof that there is reason for concern. Luckily, there's good news. Check out another blurb from WENN.com's [http://imdb.com/news/sb/2007-02-15/#tv3|movie/TV news column from the very next day] (also available at IMDB.com):
Although denying that he is reacting to growing international criticism, Howard Gordon, an executive producer of Fox's 24, has disclosed that the show plans to cut back on torture scenes. "What was once an extraordinary or exceptional moment is starting to feel a little trite. The idea of physical coercion or torture is no longer a novelty or surprise," Gordon told today's (Thursday) Philadelphia Inquirer.
On the surface this is good news but leave it to me to find a shitty lining to this silver cloud. If you read Gordon's quote you can plainly see that he gave little thought (if any) to the concern that the events he puts in his shows might have a negative effect on his audience and even the greater world. He simply looked at his choices on the show in simple terms of drama. If only we lived in a world that was so simple. Where you could literally say or do anything and there would never be any consequences for it. Just thinking about how little emboldening of terrorists we'd be doing. But I digress. There's a bit more from that column:
"It's not something that we, as writers, want to use as a crutch. We'd like to find other ways for Jack to get information out of suspects," he added. Gordon's comments came after the New Yorker magazine reported that Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan, dean of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and an eminent military lawyer, had flown to California to meet producers of the show. Finnegan reportedly told the producers that promoting illegal behavior on the show was having a damaging effect on U.S. troops in Iraq. Finnegan told the magazine, "The kids see it and say, 'If torture is wrong, what about 24?'" In response, Gordon told the Inquirer,"The thesis that we are affecting our soldiers in Iraq in their treatment of prisoners is being exaggerated, I think. Hopefully, there are a lot of filters between their watching 24 and their work in the field."
Nice, so now he's assuming something that makes no sense. How many filters are there between you, the TV shows you watch and your job? Is there anyone telling you to remember that what you see on TV is fictional? I'm not saying human brains are empty vessels, but with all the money spent every year on those repetitive TV commercials you must accept that they have some kind of effect on us.

Orignal From: US MILITARY SHARES MY OPINION OF 24 TV SHOW

No comments: