Monday, February 12, 2007

SICK OF MYSPACE? TRY HUMBLEVOICE.COM

Wow, I really wanted to blog more this weekend, but I got distracted by all sorts of stuff. Actually have an agent who wanted to see some of my latest novel, so I had to whip the first 35 pages of it into shape, do all sorts of chores around the apartment (laundry, dishes straighted up a bit of the living room, blew off Quicken--not good) and then tried to keep up with the news. Did manage to squeeze in some time with friends Jen and Britt, which was great since I never spend enough time just having fun these days. Oh yeah--I also managed to spend about an hour playing Lego Star Wars for Nintendo DS. That game is buggy as hell, but it's still a lot of fun. I've worked out where many of the bugs are, so I just avoid them. I still can't finish the first Endor level. Another thing I managed to sneak in time on is discovering a nice little alternative to MySpace.Com. One of the thing I despise about MySpace.Com is just how sucky MySpace.Com is. It's almost as buggy as Lego Star Wars for the DS and it's REALLY poorly laid out. I mean, it looks like a website someone with no design sense put together with coding from 1998. Add one large picture to your layout and BOOM suddenly you're sidescrolling all around trying to figure out what the picture even is or what a commenter said because the text isn't wrapping. Well, enter HumbleVoice.Com. Just at glance HumbleVoice.Com more pleasing to the eye than MySpace.Com. The next thing you notice is how the site is divided into interests--music, video, photograpy, art and word. It seems fairly easy for the user to make submissions into each category, unlike MySpace. This is where it's like DeviantArt.Com, a little, too. From what I can tell, your posts to each section end up in some central viewing area that I haven't found just yet (hey, I'm still exploring!). I managed to piss someone off by posting a musing about how using a "featured text section" was over a blog section (HV offer both) and got a slightly snobby anti-newbie post from a fellow HumbleVoicer. I guess newbs get no respect where ever they are on the 'net (she must be a Mac User). So, if you hate MySpace as much as I do (or just want to find an alternative that plays home to a varying group of artist-types) check out HumbleVoice. So far so good, I say regarding my experience there. It's only been a couple of days, but I think I'll stick around and see how things go. It seems like a smaller group of people than MySpace which I think can have it's advantages. OH yeah--I almost forgot. It looks like every time you post to HV (whether it be a picture, work of art, blog entry or anything else) you get points which you can eventually redeem for actual physical items like electronics or even a Vespa. Pretty cool huh? So, check out my HV page at: http://HumbleVoice.Com/ThePete HV's slogan: "It's not just your space."

Orignal From: SICK OF MYSPACE? TRY HUMBLEVOICE.COM

No comments: