Friday, March 09, 2007

300 (2007)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Yeah, I guess so. I think it's enjoyable, but doesn't contribute much to the world of cinema.
Technically any good? Visually stunning, but it really seems to be unaware of it's pro-violence, anti-gay, anti-non-white-person message that is predominant throughout the film. I mean, seriously--the main Persian bad guy reminded me of something I'd expect to see in West Hollywood on Halloween night. So, the script was pretty racist and anti-gay, and the story was flat. It was all about Spartans being pure warriors and fighting for the sake of fighting or, according to the lead character's rhetoric, "freedom". This film is great for the ladies because almost all the guys in it spend the entire movie in nothing but leather underpants and capes. Though that does bring up what some would call the latent homosexuality of the film. I mean, why do those guys enjoy being around each other so much? (There is some female nudity, but it's sadly limited--however, apparently Spartans didn't invent the bra.) The acting was perfectly reasonable. Music was fu! n and the visuals stunning.
How did it leave me feeling? Unsatisfied. The film was neither a testosterone-fest nore an epic adventure. It tried to be both--jerking between dramatic and (sometimes annoyingly) stylistic batles and the boring politics of Sparta. The film ultimately gives us the message that in the end violence may not solve our problems, but BOY IS IT COOL!!!!!
Final Rating? RTV - Rent The Video - I mean, I suppose you should see this if you're into amoral stylized violence, but if you like your films with a legit moral compass (instead of a rhetorical one) don't drop your $10.

Orignal From: 300 (2007)

No comments: