Saturday, March 10, 2007

ARE YOU A REALITY BASED THINKER?

This is one of those things that I learned about and was annoyed at how surprised I was to learn it. Mainly because this attitude coming from the White House explains a lot. I'm getting ahead of myself, though. Check out [http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2004/10/count_me_in.html|this post] I found via a circuitous route I can't recall right now. It's at the website Slacktivist.typepad.com and quotes [http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html?ex=1255665600&en=890a96189e162076&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland|a New York Times Magazine article] by Ron Suskind, both from October of 2004. Check out this cutting that refers to something a high level Bush aide said to him:
The aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricis! m. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors ... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''
So, apparently, this is how the Bush Admin thinks. Doesn't that explain a lot? Think about it: they said Al Qaeda was in Iraq--they weren't, but now that America has invaded, AQ is in Iraq! They said the world is a dangerous place, after invading two countries it IS! It's the very definition of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If only these guys could decide to wage peace, cure poverty, disease and hunger. If the Bush Admin truly thinks they can create their own reality, we have to seriously question their moral center if this is the reality they chose to create. One other thing about the quote from Suskind's article: the Bush aide said that they were "history's actors." I reeeally dig that phrase. The thing that bugs me, though, is the elitist way the aide uses it. As though the mighty Bush administration can be the only ones to be an actor in history. My thinking tells me that EVERY SINGLE HUMAN ON EARTH should be history's actor. So, my question to you is this: do you know your lines? Speaking of "lines" my wife just quoted Shakespeare to me. "Be great in act, as you have been in thought." I think Shakespeare wanted us all to be history's actors, too.

Orignal From: ARE YOU A REALITY BASED THINKER?

No comments: