Monday, March 05, 2007

Nutrition woes...

So I'm trying to figure out how to lose weight and get my energies up. I go to a dietary guideline webpage which gives you the ABC's of strict no-nonsense eating and living. Here is the information, with my commentary. Enjoy "Dietary Guidelines: 1. Eat whole, natural foods -- this is obvious. But the very fact that a food is labeled "whole" and "natural" doesn't mean that it is.2. Eat only foods that will spoil, but eat them before they do -- tell that to my bananas. OH, and my lettuce -- they spoil before I eat them. 3. Eat naturally-raised meat including fish, seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, game, organ meats and eggs. -- naturally-raised foods are really expensive. 4. Eat whole, naturally-produced milk products from pasture-fed cows, preferably raw and/or fermented, such as whole yogurt, cultured butter, whole cheeses and fresh and sour cream. Use only traditional fats and oils including butter and other animal fats, extra virgin olive oil, expeller expressed sesame and flax oil and the tropical oils—coconut and palm. - where do you find these things!??!? And, once again, the cost of buying these speciality items is so huge, no wonder many poor people have equally poor diets. 5. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic, in salads and soups, or lightly steamed. Use whole grains and nuts that have been prepared by soaking, sprouting or sour leavening to neutralize phytic acid and other anti-nutrients. -- hard to do this when eating out, unless you ask the chef to prepare it this way or eat it raw. Organic, sure that's easy. 6. Include enzyme-enhanced lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, beverages and condiments in your diet on a regular basis. -- okay, where do you get these? 7. Prepare homemade meat stocks from the bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use liberally in soups and sauces. -- I can do this. But my home will eventually smell like a witch's brew and my doorstop will be crouded by stray cats and dogs eager for a meal. Who knows how to make meat stock out there? 8. Use herb teas and coffee substitutes in moderation. -- done, that's easy. 9. Use filtered water for cooking and drinking. -- Britta's here to save the day! 10. Use unrefined Celtic seasalt and a variety of herbs and spices for food interest and appetite stimulation. -- Celtic sea salt? So I can't use my Kosher Jew-salt anymore?? Sheesh... 11. Make your own salad dressing using raw vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and expeller expressed flax oil. -- that sounds dirty. Is balsamic "raw" vinegar? 12. Use natural sweeteners in moderation, such as raw honey, maple syrup, dehydrated cane sugar juice and stevia powder. -- a must!!! Screw the sugar. 13. Use only unpasteurized wine or beer in strict moderation with meals. -- how pretentious is that when ordering at a bar? "Yes, I'd like a Miller Light, but please make it unpasteurized." 14. Cook only in stainless steel, cast iron, glass or good quality enamel. -- wanna buy me some? I'm still using the crappy pots and pans our parents gave us. Use only natural supplements. 15. Get plenty of sleep -- ugh, big point for me! exercise -- trying!!!!!and natural light. -- ah there's the rub. From 7 to 4, I'm usually at desk, on the computer. Sometimes I go out, but only to drive to the gym. So I may get about an hour of sunlight :( 16. Think positive thoughts -- fuck you! and minimize stress. -- well I'd like to. Trying to relax and let that which does not matter go. 17. Practice forgiveness. -- I forgive myself for having trouble with this. I forgive the world for being so confusing. I forgive the junk food corporations, they're trying to make a buck on stupidity and ignorance and temptation, I know, but we gotta forgive 'em. And I forgive you, for reading this...

Orignal From: Nutrition woes...

No comments: