Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NEWSROOM Season 1 (1996)


Click above to buy it now!

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Definitely a positive experience. However, I think I liked it better in 1996 when I watched it the first time. When I re-watched it this time, it felt a little tired, but only because of shows like The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm have pounded the faux-documentary thing into the ground. Also, in this post-911 world it feels very cynical, but frighteningly, it also seems more accurate.


Technically any good? This show is spot-on in so many ways it's really amazing we, in America, don't know this show as well as we know The Office. It's sharp, cutting and witty writing really does amuse, even when it doesn't make you laugh. In fact, I rarely found myself laughing but more often enjoying it nonetheless. Think of it like reading a Doonesbury comic strip. It's like that. You see the humor, recognize the irony, but you're not laughing your ass off or anything.

Also, having worked in the entertainment industry, I can tell you that the lead character is 100% real. I worked for him back in the mid-1990s.


How did it leave me feeling? Entertained for sure, but alas, I don't really care for this kind of story any more. It was cutting-edge in the 1990s, but seems much too depressing these days for my personal tastes. It's also been copied to death since then.


Final Rating? NFI - NetFlix It if you're looking to see some serious digs against the mainstream news media. This show delivers them with bells on.


Side Note (possible SPOILER): What was really frightening to me is that there's a moment where the rock-stupid anchor man suggests an idea for a really dumb segment using an insipid call-phrase that inspires everyone he pitches the idea to to smile weakly, suggest it's a great idea, but then make an excuse as to why they need to walk away from him quickly. Recently, the The Daily Show with Jon Stewart profiled a new segment on CNN called "Just Sayin'."

Yeah, pretty scary.

Orignal From: NEWSROOM Season 1 (1996)

No comments: