Thursday, September 17, 2009

THE UP SERIES (7 Up, 7 Plus Seven, 21 Up, 28 Up, 35 Up, 42 Up 49 Up)


Buy it!

Positive Experience/Entertaining? This is easily the most entertaining, enlightening and educational documentary I've ever seen. It's truly incredible!


Technically any good? Throughout the seven-movie series, there are some technical issues that make each "episode" seem less than perfect on a strictly technical level. However, what the films manage to achieve over the span of 40+ years is so amazing as to make almost any technical mistake eternally forgivable.

This series manages to give us a thumbnail sketch of the lives of 14 Brits--from the age of 7 to 49 (and I hope onward). It's just impossible to describe what this series delivers beyond that because it undoubtedly will deliver something different to each person who watches it.

All I can say with reasonable certainty is that it will, at the very least, change how you look at your own life, regardless of class, ethnicity or nationality. For me, it did so much more. It helped me understand class, chaos, and my own choices better than I ever had.


How did it leave me feeling? Smarter. Seriously--for me watching this series was like living other people's lifetimes. I was able to see their lives through their own eyes, learn from their mistakes, and really better understand my own life and the lives of those of my friends and family.

What the people in The UP Series have done in being in these movies is provide an amazing tool for learning that will help people all around the world and well into the future learn and understand more about humanity. Many of the participants complain about the "wound" that is opened every seven years of their lives, but for anyone watching it's an astounding gift that that we open whenever we sit down to watch.

I am SO very thankful that this series was made and I hope very much that it continues.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you to Michael Apted, the other producers and crew that have helped over the years, and most of all, a HUGE THANK YOU to John, Charles, Andrew, Suzy, Jackie, Lynn, Sue, Tony, Paul, Symon, Nick, Peter, Neil, and Bruce for being involved in one of the few documentaries that will always contribute to betterment of humanity.


Final Rating? GSN - Go See Now. Netflix it, rent it, buy it, just SEE IT. It's truly amazing and each person involved should be knighted by Queen Elizabeth. I'm not even kidding. As far as smart things go, this is up there with the wheel and the telescope.

Orignal From: THE UP SERIES (7 Up, 7 Plus Seven, 21 Up, 28 Up, 35 Up, 42 Up 49 Up)

No comments: