Monday, September 14, 2009

SURROGATES (2009) (preemptive strike)


Watch the trailer

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Wow, this could be a sequel to the unfortunately bad iRobot. So, it looks like it'll be a big fun romp, but ultimately shrugworthy.


Technically any good? FX sure look nice (if not a little simplistic), but the idea of Bruce Willis' idealized robot body looking like Bruce Willis with a bad wig doesn't seem like science fiction to me, but complete and utter fantasy. Writing-wise, this story seems to happen in an interesting enough universe, but the premise seems pretty weak to me. That doesn't mean the movie won't be good, but it doesn't mean it will be good, either. In fact, I'm pretty sure it won't be any good because of the director and the star.

I like Bruce Willis, but he made that last Die Hard movie. The last movie I saw from Jonathan Mostow, the director of Surrogates, was U-571 which was about as contrived as a movie can get. No wait--my mistake, Terminator 3 was the last movie he made and I saw that, too. It was terrible, too.

Amusingly, the trailer bold proclaims: "BASED ON THE GRAPHIC NOVEL."

Funny, I've never heard of the graphic novel. I'm a comic fan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to assume the movie will be good because it was based on the comic. In fact, odds are it'll likely be crap since Hollywood fails most of the time when it comes to adapting great comic stories.


How did it leave me feeling? there was a time when I'd be happy to rush out and see a big dumb actioner like this one. But in today's economy, I don't really want to spend $10-$15 (depending on where I see it) on a movie that looks as dumb as this looks. I'd be more likely to Netflix AI, Minority Report, i, Robot, or even 6th Day than spend money on Surrogates.

OK, maybe I wouldn't Netflix 6th Day.


Final Rating? NFI - NetFlix It: that's what I am likely to do, assuming I remember this movie even exists when it finally reaches Netflix.

Surrogates hits US theaters on September 25, 2009.

Orignal From: SURROGATES (2009) (preemptive strike)

No comments: